Community and Housing Development
Community Development staff provide technical assistance to local governments with carrying out activities that address community, economic, and housing development needs that benefit low to moderate income (LMI) persons, aid in the prevention or elimination of slum and blighted conditions, or meet other urgent community needs that pose a serious and immediate threat to the public health and welfare. The CD staff work as a liaison between the unit of local government, funding sources, citizens, and other community based organizations to bring together resources to improve communities.
CD staff assistance includes project planning, development, grant writing, and grant administration for community development projects. CD staff also assists with meeting regulatory compliance such as Davis-Bacon and Related Acts (DBRA), the Fair Housing Act, environmental review, ADA/Section 504 Rehabilitation Act, and other requirements.
Examples of Community Development projects include:
- Commercial Revitalization - downtown development and improvements, downtown street-scape improvements
- Community Enrichment - workforce training centers, brownfield projects
- Neighborhood Revitalization - rehabilitation, demolition, property acquisition, development, and street-scape
- Community Infrastructure - water, sewer, drainage, rail, and roads
- Business Development - buildings, infrastructure, equipment that creates and or retains jobs or improves economic opportunities
For more information call the Community Development Director at 803.649.7981.
SC Department of Commerce
Community Development Block Grants (CDBG)
Rural Infrastructure Fund (RIF)
USDA Rural Development
Housing Preservation Grants (HPG)
Water & Sewer Grants
Community Facilities Grants
SC Budget & Control Board
SC State Housing Finance & Development Authority