Comprehensive Planning and Zoning
What does the Planning Department do? We provide technical assistance to member governments for a wide array of planning activities, including:
- Comprehensive planning
- Land use planning
- Development of zoning ordinances
- Creating custom maps
The staff assists local governments throughout the region with the development of comprehensive plans and land use plans that meet the requirements of the 1994 Local Government Comprehensive Planning Enabling Act. The Planning Enabling Act was established to consolidate existing planning legislation and to provide a standard method for communities to develop comprehensive land use plans. Staff also assists Local Planning and Zoning Boards to receive the certification training required by the Planning Enabling Act.
Demographic Research and Studies
The Planning Department provides services for socio-economic research and assists local governments with varied studies. We help cities, towns and municipalities within Aiken, Allendale, Bamberg, Barnwell, Calhoun and Orangeburg counties with:
- Custom demographic profile reports that include population estimates and projections, income data, housing data, consumer buying power data, and other variables
- Assist with housing studies
- Assist with historic preservation surveys
- Develop business plans
- Complete trend analyses
- Locate funding sources for projects
- Aid with grant application development
Other Planning Department responsibilities include transportation planning, Census partnership, hazard mitigation planning, strategic planning, GIS and mapping, and economic development.
For more information call the Planning Department at 803.649.7981.